December 2018 Newsletter

Canine and Feline Toxicity
As a pet owner, it’s important to be aware of the different hazards that your furry friend may encounter during this time of year. There are many holiday foods and plants that can be toxic for your pet, so be careful this winter when you invite friends and family over to enjoy seasonal festivities.

Among the biggest risks to your pet this holiday season are rich, fatty foods. While they may be delicious, sharing too much of these foods with your pets can cause upset stomach and even pancreatitis. We would recommend avoiding giving your pets these types of foods, but if you must, make sure to only give them a small taste. And NEVER treat your pets with the bones of holiday meats, as they can splinter and cause severe internal damage.

Another risk to be aware of is holiday plants. We love to decorate our homes with the beautiful and festive plants that signify the holidays, but some of them can be toxic to curious pets. Poinsettias, mistletoe, holly, and certain flowers like lilies can be toxic to your dog or cat if ingested. If you have these in your home, make sure to keep them out of paw’s reach so hungry pets aren’t tempted to try them for a snack.

Also make sure to keep your pets away from candy (especially chocolate ones), alcohol, and fruit cakes that may contain raisins. If you suspect your pet may have ingested a toxic substance, make sure to contact a veterinarian immediately or call the Pet Poison Hotline at 855-764-7661.

Font Resize
Contrast